Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 05:36:00 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  The Shed
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Mandolin (Moderator: BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Buying a mandolin to send to Afghanistan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Buying a mandolin to send to Afghanistan  (Read 9870 times)
anading

Festivation rating 11

URL icon « on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »

My boyfriend is currently deployed in Afghanistan and wants me to send him a mandolin.  There isn't much to do during their down time and he wants to learn to play.  I need some advice.  While it doesn't get terribly hot in the region he lives, it is very dry and will get extremely cold this winter.  What would you recommend as a good mandolin for a beginner and what will he need besides the instrument?

Thanks for your help!

Ashley
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »

My boyfriend is currently deployed in Afghanistan and wants me to send him a mandolin.  There isn't much to do during their down time and he wants to learn to play.  I need some advice.  While it doesn't get terribly hot in the region he lives, it is very dry and will get extremely cold this winter.  What would you recommend as a good mandolin for a beginner and what will he need besides the instrument?

Thanks for your help!

Ashley
A Mandolin and case can be purchased on line, a tuner, some picks, and if he has a laptop he can either take lessons on line or you can purchase books off the internet. Pretty easy to get him set up really. Yer a nice girl to do that for him, very sweet Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
bluegrass bill
Festivarian

Festivation rating 236

URL icon « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:27:25 AM »

your also going to need a few sets of strings.....I'm sure ther are not a lot of music stores there...
IP address Logged
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »

I'd recommend a Mid-Mo mando.  They're out of business now - but not usually too hard to find used ones.  They pop up frequently on Craigslist, Mandolincafe & ebay.  I often see them in the $350-$400 range.  They are solid wood and sound great.

Is he interested in a certain type of music? 

IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
anading

Festivation rating 11

URL icon « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »

Thanks for all the replies!!!  He really likes bluegrass.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:55:18 PM by anading » IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC