Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 05:35:56 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  The Shed
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Mandolin (Moderator: BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Beginners' update
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Beginners' update  (Read 238393 times)
RockyMtnGuy
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 0

Telluride Bluegrass Fest -- 2011

URL icon « on: March 29, 2009, 12:44:47 AM »

Well, been at the Mando for a couple weeks now.  Appreciate all the advice and encouragement received thus far (thx Landshark!).  I've got a few songs down now, and continue working on playin along with tunes on CD (Treasury of Bluegrass by TimeLife is great for practicing).  I picked up a DVD of Sam Bush recorded Live in Austin in 2006 (most tunes from 'On The Road')  .. and learned to pretty much hack out Eight more Miles to Louisville, and Girl from the North Country just by watching and playin' along with the DVD .. easier than I thought it would be .. surprised myself even  LOL.

At any rate, just felt like throwing an update on here.   I look forward to following along one some tuneage during the condo crawl at Telluride this year! (then again, always have the guitar to fallback to Wink ).

GodSpeed.

Kevin

Now Playing icon Listening to: Crooked Still -- Tell Her to Come Back Home
IP address Logged

.. Any day above ground is a Good Day Wink
RockyMtnGuy
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »

Well, not many on mando (yet) ..
  Old Joe Clark
  Cripple Creek (pretty much)
  Girl from North Country (workin on 'lead' tho)
  Eight more miles to Louisville (again, workin on lead)
  ... can follow along (percussion/chop) on quite a few standards (key's of 'G' , 'A' and 'D')  .. of course .. workin' on fillers/transitions
..on guitar, thats a whole other story  LOL.  Probably have a dozen or more bluegrass tunes that I know, and can follow about anything.

... Give me another month and a half, and I'll have several more known on mando.

/r

Kevin
IP address Logged

RockyMtnGuy
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »

[/quote]
 Wave I better get busy!! Thumbs Up
[/quote]

LOL.  What other instruments do you play?  I'll have the mando and a guitar and a fiddle.  As I learn tunes on Mando, I'm workin' on them with the fiddle as well.  My cohort at TBF plays banjo, so, could be fun!  :).  Can't wait for the condo crawl for some versatilistic (is that a word) tuneage!! :)

Now Playing icon Listening to: Dennis Holt -- Train Derailment
IP address Logged

RockyMtnGuy
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »

:)  Sounds like you have an awesome style of your own there, Landshark.  ... Building a mandolin this summer? Are you attending a workshop or something for that?  Or is it something you're striking out on on your own?  Just wondering.

Oh, by the way, I'm workin on a few tunes by the band Bonepony on mando these days .. awesome stuff.  They actually played at T-ride several years ago, but have yet to be asked back.  I think there was some drama that took place with the 'powers that be'.  Maybe you saw them there years back.

At any rate, keep on pickin'!  :)  Chop-Chop Hammer-on, Slide, and Chop!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Chris Thile -- Sailors' Hornpipe
IP address Logged

Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »

hi! Wave looks like you've been busy! great to see you've stayed just as motivated as you were at first! this dang career thing has really put a damper in my practice time . . . that and I've hit a plateau I think, and not a good one . . . ah well, it's still fun and that's what matters! can't wait to pick with you!
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »

Seems to me that I am a nurturer by nature but the hardest thing I have ever done is make time for and nurture myself, people around me are not use to me turning inward. I like it,, it feels right.

Very well spoken Miki
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »

I almost always just use a damp cloth during re-stringing.  When the fret board starts looking really bad, I'll douse it with linseed oil.  A friend of mine actually uses 40W oil (motor oil) on his fret board.

I'd shy away from any polishes or waxes.
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »

HEHE - hiyas LS.  Good to be seen.  Nice to see u2.  The wife and I bought a house late last year (dear lord the honey-do list is HUGE!).  Then I got pretty sick and spent more time than I care to remember at University Hospital (a whole other story).  I'm finally settling down and have time to visit my normal haunts.

One interesting thing about my surgery.  They stuck a bunch of holes in me on my right side.  Doesn't bother me with the mando - but when I play guitar - OUCH!  Jams right into my side.  I'm going to have to learn how to play with my guitar strung low like a teenage grunge band. :)  LOL!

IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »

WAHOO!  See ya on stage at RG in 2010!
IP address Logged

TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »

Geg the tutor from Woodsongs called and my fiirst lesson is this week!!
I am so happy. I asked if he would consider Skype tutoring come winter and he seemed pretty open to that. I could hear him smiling  Medal

Oh I'm sure this will be lots of fun for you! Enjoy and learn lots...
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »

Isn't it great?  Music is just as hard as you choose to make it.  You don't need difficult for great music.  Often, less is more.  Of course, with beer, more is more - but that's another story.

Sounds like you found yourself a good teacher!
IP address Logged

TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »

Haha nice :)

I'm currently going through a "just saw Jens Kruger and now I don't even want to touch my banjo" phase... lets hope it passes before T-Ride
IP address Logged

Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »

Using your pinkie?  Excellent!

If you're still jonesing to play and your blisters are barking, just use super glue on em.  Seriously!

I'm loving your enthusiasm - keep it up!  Playing in a band requires 10-15 hours a week of work (between practice and gigs) - if not more.  The times I get to sit and practice or play for fun are few and far between.  Another reason I can't wait for Rockygrass!  Hope I get tix.

IP address Logged

Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 09:31:44 PM »

HOLY CRAP!  If you're playing through your super glue, damn girl, you're on fire!

I sat down and learned Stonehenge (mando part) tonight.  Man, I was laughing the whole way.  It's up on mandocafe and not too hard.  Actually, I can see it being played at any festival.  Nice little piece.  It's from the movie Spinal Tap if you don't remember. :)  Give it a shot - even if you hated Spinal Tap!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Breaking the Chains - Dokken (I know, I know - I-tunes is on shuffle though)
IP address Logged

Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »

GOOD LUCK!  This is when music gets really fun.  Is it Cripple Creek?
IP address Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC