Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:06:54 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  The Shed
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Mandolin (Moderator: BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  help with mandolin gift purchase
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: help with mandolin gift purchase  (Read 12367 times)
lolocal

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « on: November 05, 2008, 04:06:25 PM »

Hi.  I would like to purchase a mandolin for my husband as a Christmas gift.  He plays guitar but has NEVER probably even touched a mandolin.  Can anyone offer advice on a new or used purchase.  Around $250.  Thanks!!
IP address Logged
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:10 PM »

ok, so I bought a $300 Washburn off Ebay for $100 (including shipping) and it's done me very well. i wish i could remember the seller, they were selling Washburn B-stock items for CHEAP! B-stock meaning good to play, just didn't make the cut to sell at retail cause' of a chip in the paint or finish screw up or something . . . Fender sells new mandos for under 200 bucks, and they don't sound bad either . . . personally, i'm saving my pennies to get a custom SAN JUAN MANDOLIN from the grand luthier himself mr. bobby wintringham . . . love you bobbyyyyyyyyyyyy!
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »

this is the one I have . . . i think it's worth it :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-M1S-A-style-Mandolin-Sunburst-finish-M1-S-NEW_W0QQitemZ370107217691QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item370107217691&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1207%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

or this one, but hte other one is free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Washburn-model-M1S-solid-top-A-style-Mandolin_W0QQitemZ280212644237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

good luck!
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
lolocal

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »

Thank you so much for your advice.  I will check on the 2 ebay offerings.
IP address Logged
Mandojosh79
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »

Kentucky or washburn A model starter mandos are great.
IP address Logged

Gonna raise me an army some tough sons of bitches
Gonna recruit my army from the orphanages.
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC