Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 02:19:54 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  RockyGrass Academy (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  What do you all think about new class offerings?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: What do you all think about new class offerings?  (Read 107868 times)
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 12:15:05 AM »

Hi Steve,

To be honest, I like the idea of adding vocal as a separate main 'instrument' but I am kind of baffled that you've combined it with songwriting.  To me, they are really different.  As someone who wants to focus on bluegrass vocal technique, I'm reluctant to sign up for that class as my 'major' because I'll have to sit through a bunch of songwriting stuff that I have no interest in.  I also know a number of folks who love to write songs, but aren't particularly interested in polishing their vocal technique. 

As a suggestion, maybe at a future academy you could try out having 'bluegrass vocals' as a major, and offering songwriting as an elective that's open to everyone.

Best wishes, Jessica

I've never considered the academy because I don't play an instrument and am not a song writer, but I might reconsider attending if there's a "bluegrass vocal" class. I do love to sing if I know the words. Flower

Hey Tom, I can teach ya how to sing too loud and off-key and the wrong words!  It's the Hooch-style of singing.  Or I can howl at the moon with ya!
Is there a class for cowbell?

Now Playing icon Listening to: my brain telling me I'm gonna burn for this one!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:34:23 AM by Cindy Lou » IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
BluegrassDustin
Administrator
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Living Life With Delusions Of Banjur

URL icon « Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »

The octave mandolins are very cool.  Is it recommended that you
build a regular one before you try to build an octave mando?

Not only recommended, but required I do believe.

IP address Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."   -Dan Rather
bluegrassbass
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 34

URL icon « Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »

Not only recommended, but required I do believe.

Thanks Dustin,

that makes sense.

IP address Logged

Jim Fischer
Bassist for That Damn Sasquatch
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »

I keep trying to place the face and the name. Who was the blonde man with the mustach that helped breakin the new Mandolins at the river along with Steve and Darrell??? He looks so familiar to me, is he a local?

I heard him playing at camp one night and thougt he was really a skilled musician.

I use my  RGA song book all the time  Thumbs Up

I still do not quite understand one thing, don't laugh, what do you mean when someone says, " In the key of G-3357(or whatever number), what do these numers represent? I know that it is some sort of universal language for bass, mando and others but not sure how it fits for me and my mandolin.
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 03:41:53 PM »

I keep trying to place the face and the name. Who was the blonde man with the mustach that helped breakin the new Mandolins at the river along with Steve and Darrell??? He looks so familiar to me, is he a local?

I heard him playing at camp one night and thougt he was really a skilled musician.

I use my  RGA song book all the time  Thumbs Up

I still do not quite understand one thing, don't laugh, what do you mean when someone says, " In the key of G-3357(or whatever number), what do these numers represent? I know that it is some sort of universal language for bass, mando and others but not sure how it fits for me and my mandolin.
Brian who was that guy? He made a huge impression on me and if he is local I want to show support if I can.
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
BluegrassBrian
Administrator
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

It's mandological

URL icon « Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »

Brian who was that guy? He made a huge impression on me and if he is local I want to show support if I can.

Humm, RGA mandolin players in the river with mustaches... Maybe it was John Moore (guitar/mandolin player for California)?  Or Sandy Munro (long-time academy guitar instructor who lives in Aspen)?  Those are the 2 that come to mind immediately.

Rolleyes
IP address Logged

Somewhere there's rock under the blue grass...
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #36 on: September 19, 2009, 07:15:58 AM »

Humm, RGA mandolin players in the river with mustaches... Maybe it was John Moore (guitar/mandolin player for California)?  Or Sandy Munro (long-time academy guitar instructor who lives in Aspen)?  Those are the 2 that come to mind immediately.

Rolleyes

Hum just have to attend RGA again so I can check it out.

On another note, my first time to Swallow Hill last night.

They have class year round. I'd much rather be at the ranch..... ever consider year round RGA? Flower
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »

Is it true that Song School is more folk based ?

I say I will be happy to take the RGA leftovers if I get the chance this summer.

ITS ALL GOOD!!!!!!!! Medal
IP address Logged

BluegrassDustin
Administrator
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Living Life With Delusions Of Banjur

URL icon « Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 11:00:38 AM »

I say I will be happy to take the RGA leftovers if I get the chance this summer.

The Song School is based more on the art of song crafting and is without question more folksy based.

However, there isn't really a "genre-definition" to the Song School...it's really all about the song, and the craft of delivering and developing songs.
IP address Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."   -Dan Rather
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »

The Song School is based more on the art of song crafting and is without question more folksy based.

However, there isn't really a "genre-definition" to the Song School...it's really all about the song, and the craft of delivering and developing songs.

I like that. Thanks
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »

Wave Just have to say thank you for giving me the skill and confidence to pick up a tool and tighten up my old F style mandolin. Lets see if I can get her to stay in tune longer.
The mandolin I built last year sounds so beautiful and I can't wait for Bobby to hear(and play) how great it delivers! It is always in tune, really, it just stays tuned Thumbs Up

Thanks.. Lets carve a Cello Flower please Flower
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 01:04:35 PM »

Wow lots of great openings in the ticket resale for RGA....even a vocal class.... Medal
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »

Wondering if I could have all the 2010 song additions to the RGA songbook for my reference so next year I will be in the know. Maybe after RGA someone could fill me in,, pretty please. Flower

Looks like a great week ahead, keep us posted, wish I was there! Flower
IP address Logged

Pete
Small Member

Festivation rating 115

URL icon « Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 02:05:39 PM »

The three bass instructors were all outstanding.  Maybe some handouts and not so much "what do you want to learn?", just as a general comment from what I heard other folks say.  Not all great players were ment to teach....
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »

I noticed this year the songwriting and vocal classes are scaled down. I think that is a good change because it made it difficult to choose between Song School and RGA! Medal

Just looking as I always do. Always a wonderful way to dream and plan even if I only get to make it a few times.
Who are the lucky few who get to plan their Summer around music and song Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Gospel
IP address Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC