Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:09:47 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  RockyGrass Academy (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  What do you all think about new class offerings?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: What do you all think about new class offerings?  (Read 107866 times)
planetsteve
Global Moderator

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: November 04, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »

I'd like feedback on some new Academy classes that we may offer this year. In the past, songwriting and vocal mentoring spaces have been offered on a sign up basis throughout the week. But you'd have to miss part of an instrument class to take part in the mentoring. What do folks think about a separate songwriting/vocal class that would be offered to 10 students for the entire week? Also, same with dance; clogging, hambone, traditional styles. Eileen Carson from Footworks has offered to teach a four day course that would be available as a separate class. Seems like the time has come to branch out a little more and I like the idea of adding movement to the week.

Also, any mando building students who have completed a kit in the last 14 years should know that this year, for the first time, we will have two guitar kits available to build along with the family of mandolin kits.

The webpage will have all the details soon, but in the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts on these academy considerations.

Thanks in advance, happy picking,

Steve

IP address Logged
linda baker
Small Member

Festivation rating 8

URL icon « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:05:15 AM »

Hello Steve - Along with great hopes that our family will win in the lotto, we fully support the idea of dance and would request also a traditional celtic step dance component too. Having the class for the whole week would be great but missing out on an instrument class is acceptable as well. I do like the idea of movement being added and especially with instruction form Footworks!!! The vocals intensive sounds great as I was gone singing last night in part due to encouragement from John Cowan last year and budding luthiers will embrace the guitar building I am sure!

Thanks for creatively growing the program and taking into account the component of movement which needs music to bring it to life Wave.

Linda Baker

Now Playing icon Listening to: snowflakes falling
IP address Logged
elovgren
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 2

URL icon « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »

I think it's a great idea. In fact, I know of two people that were not planning on going to the academy that said they will sign-up if this is an option. I would also hope that more signing classes are offered as electives too.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Old Crow Medicine Show
IP address Logged
rgoldey

Festivation rating 2

URL icon « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:50:11 AM »

Steve,

I know you offered clawhammer banjo a couple of years ago, and you didn't get enough students to fill the class. But the one's who attended really enjoyed it, and I've been in touch with a couple of them who said they would love to see it offered again. Maybe once every other year, or every couple of years?
IP address Logged
JenCC
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 101

URL icon « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »

I play novice mandolin, and I would probably favor the songwriting/vocal course this year.
IP address Logged
Porkchop

Festivation rating 2

URL icon « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »

Steve,

I think it's a great idea to have songwriting/vocal and a dance class for the entire week.  I've already signed up for the songwriting/vocal class.  Sure hope I get in this year.

JB,
Phx, AZ

Now Playing icon Listening to: Cadilac Sky - Born Lonesome
IP address Logged
JessEvans

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »

Hi Steve,

To be honest, I like the idea of adding vocal as a separate main 'instrument' but I am kind of baffled that you've combined it with songwriting.  To me, they are really different.  As someone who wants to focus on bluegrass vocal technique, I'm reluctant to sign up for that class as my 'major' because I'll have to sit through a bunch of songwriting stuff that I have no interest in.  I also know a number of folks who love to write songs, but aren't particularly interested in polishing their vocal technique. 

As a suggestion, maybe at a future academy you could try out having 'bluegrass vocals' as a major, and offering songwriting as an elective that's open to everyone.

Best wishes, Jessica

Now Playing icon Listening to: my husband practice the banjo
IP address Logged
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »

Hi Steve,

To be honest, I like the idea of adding vocal as a separate main 'instrument' but I am kind of baffled that you've combined it with songwriting.  To me, they are really different.  As someone who wants to focus on bluegrass vocal technique, I'm reluctant to sign up for that class as my 'major' because I'll have to sit through a bunch of songwriting stuff that I have no interest in.  I also know a number of folks who love to write songs, but aren't particularly interested in polishing their vocal technique. 

As a suggestion, maybe at a future academy you could try out having 'bluegrass vocals' as a major, and offering songwriting as an elective that's open to everyone.

Best wishes, Jessica

I've never considered the academy because I don't play an instrument and am not a song writer, but I might reconsider attending if there's a "bluegrass vocal" class. I do love to sing if I know the words. Flower
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
billhilly

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »

Hey Steve and everybody,  Wave

I think the new classes are fantastic and a nice representation of the broader cultural background of bluegrass.  The dance class is especially fitting.  Traditional dance has been a big part of traditional music.  If you saw Bill Monroe perform, you know he liked to kick up his heels and show some of his clogging and high-stepping footwork in the middle of a show, or pick a partner from the audience to get up on stage and dance with him.  Eileen is the perfect choice as an instructor.  Her credentials go on and on. I have seen her teach before and she is a master.  The bluegrass roots will go a little bit deeper this year at Planet Bluegrass.  Thanks!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Ellis
IP address Logged
JLMSM

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:27 AM »

I am still bummed that I did not get into the singing class because of demand. Perhaps this class should be expanded...I'm the lead singer, and besides guitar...(which I also didn't get in because of demand...)
IP address Logged
stonedahlski

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 11:26:30 AM »

Steve,

as an FYI, I've coached vocals for about 20 years and learned a lot of new tools and techniques from shadowing John last year. That, and the positive impact he had on so many students last year lead me to enthusiastically encourage you to keep doing it. As for songwriting as a formal part of the academy, I'm all for it...how do I sign up?  Actually, I just sent Laura an email, so I may already have done just that.

Eric Stone
IP address Logged
Jessicarita
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 17

All who Yonder are not lost :)

URL icon « Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »

Love the new additions...I wasn't able to get into the music workshops (boo), but as a stepdancer w/ McGinley Academy of Irish Dance...I am thrilled to see Miss Eileen teach a workshop and I would love to get into that workshop!  It still says TBD on the RG website...so is it full or not?  Can one still get in?  Please let me know...I will still be a volunteer at the festival again this year.

Looking forward to it!

~Jessica

Now Playing icon Listening to: playing gooby-o on my fiddle!
IP address Logged
Jessicarita

Festivation rating 17

URL icon « Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34:52 AM »

Great news!  There was a cancellation in the dance class...and I took the slot!  I will be there camping out for the week....is there anyone from Nederland camping out and taking workshops?
I also am confirmed a volunteer at the Libation Station :)  Go NB!!!!

Looking forward to that lovely week!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Armando Zuppa...Soup Kitchen~
IP address Logged
Jessicarita

Festivation rating 17

URL icon « Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »

Wonderful!  I think that is awesome...would love to see your mandolin when it's finished  :)
You kinda look familiar...do you go to Nederland very much (or First Street Pub & Grill?)?

Now Playing icon Listening to: Single Malt Band
IP address Logged
Jessicarita

Festivation rating 17

URL icon « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »

I know Doc Joe....do send him a 'get well soon' message, please :) 
I have been learning the tunes someone sent me on a list here on RGA talk...and I've also learned some others that interest me!  Can't wait, but hope there are some other novice players because I am not up to-as we say w/ Celtic playing-"session speed" on my fiddle.  On my whistle, yes!  Fiddle...not so much-  Darn.  But patience is what I do have!  Anyone else out there w/ some awesome BG tunes you would like to share?
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC