Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 01:29:23 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  Regional Boards
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Republic of Texas (Moderator: BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Old Settler's advice...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Old Settler's advice...  (Read 12802 times)
annpete
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: January 03, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »

Hey y'all  Wave
Longtime Colorado festivarian - RG & TBF....and I'm seriously eyeing Old Settler's this year....

Just seeking some insight re: camping vs lodging, festival vibe, pickin' scene in the campground.
Does music start Thursday DAY or night?

Any and all advice welcome  Thumbs Up

May your New Year be jammed with all things bluegrass!  Cheers
Ann

Now Playing icon Listening to: Billy Strings - Turmoil & Tinfoil
IP address Logged
askthefish

Festivation rating -5

URL icon « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »

New location this year so none of us know much. The new venue is out in the middle of nowhere so come prepared in terms of food, drinks, and gear. Music starts Thursday night.
IP address Logged
ChrisATX
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 16

URL icon « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »

- camping vs lodging

I live in Austin and have been to four OSMF.   One of the best parts of the fest for me is in the campground, they have Camp Goodtimes which is an acoustic stage in the campground.  It is a no-talking zone during the music and fantastic.    So I would vote for camping, just because of this. 

- festival vibe

Friendly folk who have been going for a long time.   Austin is a pretty liberal place so that vibe caries over to OSMF.    Assholes seem few and far between.

- pickin' scene in the campground

There are lots of folks who bring instruments and play.   Skill level varies.  I have never been to TBF (my first time is this summer), but I would imagine that it draws lots of folks.   That said there are lots of fun people playing music after the fest into the wee hours.

- Does music start Thursday DAY or night? 

Music starts at 4-5 at the campground stage (or at least in the past). 

2018 is a new location at a piece of ground that the festival has purchased.   They got dicked out the last venue (which was very nice).   There was some drama there.   I've driven out to the new site and it has trees and shade ( which is nice)  and they will have showers as well (probably not as nice as town park - I camped for Blues and Brews last year).    Port a johns. 

There are usually a few food vendors that go all day, so if camping cooking isn't your deal, plenty of placed to grab a bite (corndogs / BBQ /  etc).  Beer/wine sales on the music site, BYOB in camping area. 
IP address Logged
gregtsam

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »

Been to OSMF the last 3 years. New venue looks promising and the camping is a must to get the full experience. So many pickers and campers of all ages. I love it. Unfortunately I hurt my knee last week and have to miss it. I'm selling my 3 day camping pass if anyone needs it.
IP address Logged
TRL
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Ready to go!

URL icon « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 12:35:53 AM »

Camp any chance you can. Impromptu jams are proof people are happy and glad they did so  enjoy the Texas outdoors as much as possible, before the heat comes ..... Then to-hell-we-ride
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC