Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 02:53:18 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  The Shed
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Fiddle (Moderator: BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Any other Fiddlers here??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Any other Fiddlers here??  (Read 33787 times)
dmiller

Festivation rating 1

FiddlePicker

URL icon « on: February 14, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »

Curious if anyone else here picks the fiddle.
I pick several instruments, but fiddle is my favorite for jam sessions and stage work,
though I'm not in any band at the present.

I've got 3 (working) ones, and I gladly go *broke* keeping them in strings!
Here's a pic of the back of the *middle fiddle* I have.
It doesn't sound as good as the best one, but it looks a LOT nicer. :)

IP address Logged
david blair
Small Member

Festivation rating 17

URL icon « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:52:54 PM »

Well Yeah, Shit howdy!

I fiddle some too.  Also mandolin and guitar. I like to play old time, fiddle tunes, Irish, and contemporary.
Nice looking fiddle you got there. Tell us about it?

David

Now Playing icon Listening to: Hot Rize
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:53:19 AM by david blair » IP address Logged
Mark in Alabama
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Got DukTape?

URL icon « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:29:36 AM »

I've been working on the fiddle a little. Man it is tough.  Rolleyes I also hack at the guitar and mando, but would love to get the fiddle going. 
IP address Logged

May All Of Your Days Be Festival Days
blu3gr4ssfan

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:51:34 PM »

hi, i just learned to play the guitar... but i only started it because it was the easiest to learn.  I REALLY want to learn to play the fiddle, but like the guitar id have to teach myself, and some people told me that i was a lot harder to do.  Any suggestions on whether i should pick it up? or just get better at the guitar?  I just really like the fiddle in every song, but im not in a band and would just be playing it for fun... is it a good investment??
Thanks!
Susan
IP address Logged
Dancin-feet
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:38:28 AM »

I was all gung ho about charging into some fiddle lessons this winter and even checking out Pete Wernicks camp.... but I decided that using a hedge trimmer on my left hand would be more fun.... I will regain use of my ring finger but it sure did detour my plans.
there are many great places to fiddle in the Denver area. Check out Swallow Hill, there are open jams there and if you live up North, check out Old Town Pickn Parlor for lessons and contacts.
There is nothing like just taking your instrument to Planet Bluegrass festivals though, what magic you can find as you wander from camp to camp experiencing the varying degrees of music magic... and if you feel like joining in you are always welcome!.. how many more days do we have to go???
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:40:45 AM by Dancin-feet » IP address Logged

With music in our lives we are able to express ourselves in so many ways, with instruments, vocals, dance and movement. This can be done solo or with others. Music is not only entertainment, it is a way of life.
david blair
Small Member

Festivation rating 17

URL icon « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:09:40 AM »

The fiddle is a difficult instrument, for sure. If you're thinking about it I would ask "do you like to practice hours on end? Are you patient and able to practice technical tasks slowly, over and over...?"
"Is it a good investment"?  In yourself, or the instrument?
I would offer  that learning mandolin can be very helpful to a beginning violinist.  And for sure a regular lesson. At first you'll need constant drilling in intonation and posture. It's really for masochists. If you're more of a sadist you should get a banjo, or better yet accordion!

Check these guys out! Latin/rock

http://www.rodgab.com/   

Now Playing icon Listening to: Gabriela and Rodrigo
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC