Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:20:34 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Telluride Bluegrass Festival (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Town Park virgin? Get your answers here!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 85 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Town Park virgin? Get your answers here!  (Read 829932 times)
BluegrassDustin
Administrator
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Living Life With Delusions Of Banjur

URL icon « Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 01:21:37 PM »

i read somewhere about festival virgins not understanding the parking situation.  I didn't get organized early enough so I am camping at the Mary E. Ilium Campground, I was thinking I should get a parking pass as well, am I mistaken?  Also I am volunteering if that should affect my decision.
Either way, how do I sign up to camp for a day or two extra?

You do not HAVE to have a vechicle pass for Mary E. You only need one if you wish to camp next to your car. Driving

Volunteering really wouldn't affect your decision too much. You won't be able to take your car in and out once festival starts, so the shuttle will be your transportation anyway. :)
IP address Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."   -Dan Rather
itsRick
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »

Alright! I'm already very excited! I'm sure the closer the date gets, the more questions I will have! Thanks so much for all your kindness. I will look forward to meeting all of you too! I've been a big Yonder lister for many years, and have also been a member of the festivarian list but never really posted much. This is the year to get involved though! I have big hopes and dreams for 2007!  Cheers 

I would love to bring my bike out for the fest. I could ride my bike all day! But being from the 900 ft. elevation range, 10,000 is quite a change. Especially since all the festivals I have attended before were actually lower than 900 ft. (NWSS - Horning's comes to mind). I do alright snowboarding, I just have to be very careful that I carry plenty of water and a few granola bars and sweet snacks because I have been known to faint because of the altitude! I find that I can curb that very easily as long as I eat on a regular basis! (Gotta keep the blood sugar level up!)  Wink
we must be old friends? I've done the last 3 NWSS's and I mostly lurk on the Yonder Phantasy board.  :hop

Now Playing icon Listening to: Truck Drivers complaining about fuel prices!!
IP address Logged

Gee WIZ Mr. Kesey, this sure is some swell Kool Aid!
nebraskawhit

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »

we must be old friends? I've done the last 3 NWSS's and I mostly lurk on the Yonder Phantasy board.  :hop

Perhaps! I didn't attend last summer, but was there in 2004 (for Del!) and in 2005... what a great festie. Although I wasn't as impressed in 2005 as I am not a Keller fan at all!! Couldn't make it happen last summer since I was taking classes. Probably won't make it this summer either since I'm doing Telluride! Where did you camp at the NWSS, I was a part of Camp Turtle....
IP address Logged

"All of the hard days are gone, it's all beer and whiskey and songs from now on, laugh at the darkness and dance until dawn, all of the hard days are gone..."  ~Hair Of The Dog~
meanderingjeeper
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Hope all is well and the surf is high.

URL icon « Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »

is that going to be early enough or am I going to get screwed out of a decent camping spot?

of course Tom is the only on that actually gets a decent camping spot.  all those people that camp by the river or falls or anywhere else not in direct sight of the stage is just lacking  Wink

Now Playing icon Listening to: Nick Cave and the Badseeds
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:32:35 PM by meanderingjeeper » IP address Logged

If you don't like something, change it.  Otherwise change the way you feel about it.
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 11:57:21 PM »

is that going to be early enough or am I going to get screwed out of a decent camping spot?

of course Tom is the only on that actually gets a decent camping spot.  all those people that camp by the river or falls or anywhere else not in direct sight of the stage is just lacking  Wink

Good one Jeep! Rollin

Any spot in Town Park has it's advantages, and disadvantages. EEK!

Some are always in the sun Sunshine some are always in the shade Bag
Some are so close the the jam sessions Band that you can't get any sleep Sleep

But we all get along Talk, and we all have fun Clap
listening to a great show..... Concert
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
itsRick
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 02:12:45 AM »

Perhaps! I didn't attend last summer, but was there in 2004 (for Del!) and in 2005... what a great festie. Although I wasn't as impressed in 2005 as I am not a Keller fan at all!! Couldn't make it happen last summer since I was taking classes. Probably won't make it this summer either since I'm doing Telluride! Where did you camp at the NWSS, I was a part of Camp Turtle....
Hmmm? where did I camp? it's kind of hard to explain NWSS camping? I usualy camp in the far north east section, up the hill under the trees ?  Driving

Now Playing icon Listening to: trucks idle in the parking lot
IP address Logged

Gee WIZ Mr. Kesey, this sure is some swell Kool Aid!
heaubeau
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 08:38:58 AM »

do i just show up on tuesday or wednesday and pick out a camping spot, maybe pay a few extra bucks?
IP address Logged

pronounced hobo
BluegrassDustin
Administrator
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Living Life With Delusions Of Banjur

URL icon « Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 08:54:49 AM »

do i just show up on tuesday or wednesday and pick out a camping spot, maybe pay a few extra bucks?

Town Park opens on the Saturday before the festival (6/16/07) and is included in the Town Park camping pass. The only other campground that opens that early is Mary E. No extra fees required, just a desire to meet good people, and a little extra time off work. Wink

Tom -
That may be the single best use of smilies to date on this board. Medal

Now Playing icon Listening to: The wind HOWL outside the office.
IP address Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."   -Dan Rather
heaubeau
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 09:01:21 AM »

woo hoo, then I will be at mary e. early.  will I be able to wander around town park meeting folks by showing up early or is it closed off before the festival begins?

Thanks for all the info you guys have given out.
IP address Logged

pronounced hobo
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 10:37:55 AM »

You're more than welcome to come visit us in Town Park before the festival as it doesn't get blocked off until the festival starts. The only problem might be driving back and forth. Without a special pass vehicle use just before and during the festival is restricted to local residents and condo renters. The shuttle doesn't yet run either, and it's a dangerous bike ride that I'd advise not to take. EEK!
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »

You Folks are Truly THE BEST!  Medal

Thanks for all the advise to the NuT'rides.

Hope Lin  pickin

Now Playing icon Listening to: Uncommon Ritual - Fleck, Marshall & Meyer
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
bgriffin

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 05:23:31 PM »

Put on your glasses, this may be a long read

I'm taking my parents to TBF for the first time this year and need some advice.  They're both retired and have never been to either a music festival or Colorado, so this is a pretty big trip.  The only festival I'm very familiar with is the Austin City Limits Music Festival that my brother and I go to every year.  I'm sure there are differences between the two, and my plan for TBF is a little different.  We'll be there from the Wednesday before until the Tuesday after and plan on doing some sightseeing along with the festival.  Normally at ACL we're there from start to finish every day.  My parents however won't be interested in doing that at TBF.  For one we'd like to get some sightseeing done during the morning and/or early afternoon, two they would get bored just sitting around listening to music for 12 hours (how odd).  Anyway, now that you have some background, I have some questions:

1.  Normally what time is the first set everyday and how late do they go?
2.  I think we would be more comfortable in foldup chairs than we would sprawled out on a tarp.  Are we pretty much gonna be stuck at the back of the crowd if we come in later in the day?
3.  How bad will traffic be driving into Telluride each day?  None of us are campers and we're staying in a hotel I think about 45 minutes away.  I know we have to park outside of town and shuttle in, how big of a hassle is that gonne be?
4.  How many passes do they sell, how big are the festival grounds, and how many stages do they have?  I'm hoping that TBF has a much smaller crowd than ACL.

I'm sure I'll have tons more questions over the next few months, and if anybody has any advice, please by all means chime in.  Also, if there's anybody here that's been to both TBF and ACL, I'd love to hear your take on the differences between the two.

Thanks in advance

Now Playing icon Listening to: Calling Thermatico - Centro-matic
IP address Logged
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »

1.  Normally what time is the first set everyday and how late do they go?
2.  I think we would be more comfortable in foldup chairs than we would sprawled out on a tarp.  Are we pretty much gonna be stuck at the back of the crowd if we come in later in the day?
3.  How bad will traffic be driving into Telluride each day?  None of us are campers and we're staying in a hotel I think about 45 minutes away.  I know we have to park outside of town and shuttle in, how big of a hassle is that gonne be?
4.  How many passes do they sell, how big are the festival grounds, and how many stages do they have?  I'm hoping that TBF has a much smaller crowd than ACL.

1. The first set usually starts between 10:00 and 11:00 AM each day, and continues until close to 1:00 AM except Sunday when it ends at about 11:00 PM.

2. Fold up chairs are fine. If you can fit a basketball under it then you have to be a little farther back, but you can still see the show perfectly.

3. I don't know what hotel you have booked that's 45 minutes away, but you should check with them to see if you will have a special vehicle pass to drive into town. If you don't, you'll have to park outside of town and take the shuttle bus to the festival each day once you're parked. Traffic is very limited during the festival and parking in town is paid by the hour. You won't be able to park your car downtown all day either way!

4. If you don't have your passes already, you may be too late, but you'll have to check with Planet Bluegrass. They limit the amount of attendees to 10,000 each day, and if you want to go to all four days you need a four day pass.
There's only one stage in Town Park, but they also have workshop performances for free at Elks Park in the middle of town.

If you have more questions.... feel free to ask.... we're here to help. Cheers
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:55:48 PM by TellurideTom » IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

bgriffin

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 08:26:06 PM »

1. The first set usually starts between 10:00 and 11:00 AM each day, and continues until close to 1:00 AM except Sunday when it ends at about 11:00 PM.

2. Fold up chairs are fine. If you can fit a basketball under it then you have to be a little farther back, but you can still see the show perfectly.

3. I don't know what hotel you have booked that's 45 minutes away, but you should check with them to see if you will have a special vehicle pass to drive into town. If you don't, you'll have to park outside of town and take the shuttle bus to the festival each day once you're parked. Traffic is very limited during the festival and parking in town is paid by the hour. You won't be able to park your car downtown all day either way!

4. If you don't have your passes already, you may be too late, but you'll have to check with Planet Bluegrass. They limit the amount of attendees to 10,000 each day, and if you want to go to all four days you need a four day pass.
There's only one stage in Town Park, but they also have workshop performances for free at Elks Park in the middle of town.

If you have more questions.... feel free to ask.... we're here to help. Cheers

Thanks for the info!  The shows run a little later than I expected.  Is it normally the headliner each night playing that last set?  I'm thinking a LOT of the 50+ crowd will be gone by 1:00 (including my parents).  I'll be a little disappointed if they have to stay up until midnight to see Allison Krauss.

I'll have to check the hotel again, we haven't booked it quite yet but I think it's in Montrose?  I *think* it's about 45 mins away but I could be totally wrong.  If I understand it correctly, we can drive from there to Telluride but we'll have to park at some kind of parking area outside of town and ride a shuttle in to Telluride?  How bad will trafic be from Montrose to Telluride on festival days?  Looks like it's only a 2 lane road.

We do already have our passes (they came in last week).  10,000 Sounds great.  ACL packs in 65k and we usually can see ok.  With only 10,000 people there it sounds like everyone should be able to see very well.

Will some of the people on the lineup be playing @ Elks Park or will they all be on the main stage? 
IP address Logged
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »

I live in Montrose, and it's about an hour and a half drive to Tellluride one way! EEK!
I've been known to make it in just over an hour with no traffic, but I know the road real well! Wink

The headliners for the late sets are usually more of a jam set, and I doubt if Alison will be scheduled that late. Your parents should be able to enjoy her set. Thumbs Up

If your hotel is in Montrose, I'm sure your parents may not want to stay past 9 or 10 if they have to look forward to that long of a drive, but you never know.
Once they get to listening to the music the time goes by pretty quick.
Then again, once the sun goes down in Telluride it gets COLD pretty quick, so be sure to have warm clothes along for that.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:19:13 PM by TellurideTom » IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 85 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC