Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 04:14:44 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Telluride Bluegrass Festival (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  What are your best TBF memories?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: What are your best TBF memories?  (Read 609224 times)
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #630 on: February 26, 2019, 12:47:32 PM »

Being scooped up from work by friends and a loaded car my first Telluride. Not having enough money for a pass, no ticket, sitting by the river and listening to the music and thinking, I need to be there those are my people.
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #631 on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »

Michael Martin Murphy and Willie Nelson. Those voices in the dark under the stars.
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Pass Port
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #632 on: February 27, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »

Didn't think it would be possible to top our first TBF. But, last year in TP hanging with Duk Tape and all the fine folks of TP really topped it. There's no doubt that being in Town Park is the best option for camping, in my opinion no matter what type of festy goer you are.

Our first year we brought my oldest son and his girlfriend. They were 20/19 at the time. Last year we brought my younger son who was 13. He's been to many festivals, and concerts and camped out for extended periods in all forms of weather so we knew he'd be alright. However he is not that into acoustic music, unless its friends he knows playing. He used to play fiddle (Bridget Law of Elephant Revival was his first fiddle teacher), but now he really plays keyboard and symphasized music. He won't admit it, because he's a snotty teenager but he does like a lot of bluegrass, especially instrumentals. Anyway I knew he'd have a blast regardless.

So we never do anything half ass, like most of you other festivarians. We come for the full amount of time possible to camp. Our son, Addison was mostly excited about this, and the fact that he knew there'd be other kids. On the first day there he tried his first Crawfish Thanks Paul Thumbs Up, and already met almost a dozen kids around his age. By the time festival started we only saw him in the mornings, lunch, and sometimes dinner then as he crawled in the tent for bed usually around 11. He went on his first mountain bike ride, went on a few great hikes, and went out to eat dinner without any adults just kids. It changed his life. He probably only caught no more than 3-4 hours of music being inside the festival grounds, because he was having too much fun in camp, and he said he could hear it just fine.

As a parent, its rare to find a place, especially a place with so much adult acitivity, where you can feel comfortable letting your guard down a bit, and letting your child enjoy some real freedoms. It makes the experience so much more relaxing for all.

On Monday morning as were packing up, he kept crying. And as we loaded the car and said our final see you laters, he cried some more. When we got home he made me promise that we would go back. He even said he'd get a job and pay for his ticket. He talks/texts/messages with his friends from camp almost everyday. Folks are always talking about how Telluride changed their life, it's not just an adult thing. Hoping this years memories include a Ferrata trip! Is it June yet?

Hey Todd,

Haven't been looking at the forum much this winter (its been so good for us powder lovers!), just saw this. That's really cool about Addison!! Thumbs Up  Is he going on the Via Ferrata?

IP address Logged
ToddG
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

Let's Pick!

URL icon « Reply #633 on: February 28, 2019, 08:25:05 AM »

Hey Todd,

Haven't been looking at the forum much this winter (its been so good for us powder lovers!), just saw this. That's really cool about Addison!! Thumbs Up  Is he going on the Via Ferrata?

Howdy Paul, I sure wish we lived close enough to take advantage of all that powder! We consider ourselves lucky if we get two ski trips a year, and unfortunately this year we only managed one.
Addison has lots of experience "on rope" but all of that has been rappelling, or caving. He doesn't really enjoy edges, or heights so I'm going to say no he won't do the Via Ferrata, though I might get him up there and let him do a tiny section to see what he thinks. He just got accepted into Jazz Band at his school and is now playing the saxophone. Lets all hope he doesn't want to bring it to TP!
IP address Logged

How come they don't turn the banjo up?
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #634 on: March 14, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »

Didn't think it would be possible to top our first TBF. But, last year in TP hanging with Duk Tape and all the fine folks of TP really topped it. There's no doubt that being in Town Park is the best option for camping, in my opinion no matter what type of festy goer you are.

Our first year we brought my oldest son and his girlfriend. They were 20/19 at the time. Last year we brought my younger son who was 13. He's been to many festivals, and concerts and camped out for extended periods in all forms of weather so we knew he'd be alright. However he is not that into acoustic music, unless its friends he knows playing. He used to play fiddle (Bridget Law of Elephant Revival was his first fiddle teacher), but now he really plays keyboard and symphasized music. He won't admit it, because he's a snotty teenager but he does like a lot of bluegrass, especially instrumentals. Anyway I knew he'd have a blast regardless.

So we never do anything half ass, like most of you other festivarians. We come for the full amount of time possible to camp. Our son, Addison was mostly excited about this, and the fact that he knew there'd be other kids. On the first day there he tried his first Crawfish Thanks Paul Thumbs Up, and already met almost a dozen kids around his age. By the time festival started we only saw him in the mornings, lunch, and sometimes dinner then as he crawled in the tent for bed usually around 11. He went on his first mountain bike ride, went on a few great hikes, and went out to eat dinner without any adults just kids. It changed his life. He probably only caught no more than 3-4 hours of music being inside the festival grounds, because he was having too much fun in camp, and he said he could hear it just fine.

As a parent, its rare to find a place, especially a place with so much adult acitivity, where you can feel comfortable letting your guard down a bit, and letting your child enjoy some real freedoms. It makes the experience so much more relaxing for all.

On Monday morning as were packing up, he kept crying. And as we loaded the car and said our final see you laters, he cried some more. When we got home he made me promise that we would go back. He even said he'd get a job and pay for his ticket. He talks/texts/messages with his friends from camp almost everyday. Folks are always talking about how Telluride changed their life, it's not just an adult thing. Hoping this years memories include a Ferrata trip! Is it June yet?

And he's a really cool guy.
See you folks soon!
Auntie Hope
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
ToddG
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

Let's Pick!

URL icon « Reply #635 on: January 10, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »

Since they just keep getting better and better every year. Rain, sleet, hail, or snow I'm going to say my best TBF moments are still to come. Looking forward to TBF 2020.
IP address Logged

How come they don't turn the banjo up?
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #636 on: May 04, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »

When Ferg played a song after his Fathers passing.... that was very moving and very special.
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #637 on: May 29, 2020, 02:55:42 PM »

Sitting on the river side without a ticket and not enough  money to buy a pass. It was a spur of the moment trip many years ago. I sat there on the riverside and listened to the music over the water and I had this feeling of, these are my people I belong here I will be back.

I came back over and over and over again and each time I saw the same faces and they always gravitated to the same tarp hoods. Like family 10,000 strong.

A tradition most summers for forever. Medal
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:57:43 PM by landshark » IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #638 on: June 04, 2020, 08:32:55 AM »

About 2 minutes before Johnny Cash took the stage, I turned to my friend and said. "He is a tad too country for me". Then he stepped out and sang a swing tune and I had to pick up my jaw from the ground. Totally an epic performer and he was all encompassing. Made all 9999 people disappear. Epic performance. Unforgettable
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #639 on: June 04, 2020, 08:34:28 AM »

I heard a squeal and it came from me! Robert Plant totally owned me as soon as he stepped out. Made me squeal! I never knew I could do that! LOL!
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #640 on: April 15, 2021, 01:10:05 PM »

The sound of 10,000 folks howling at the moon. The smell of flank steak and beer and sunscreen. Music before breakfast and Gospel on Sunday. Turning around and mezmerized by not only what and who was on stage but behind me, those beautiful mountains and all those smiling faces. The way we tried but failed many years ago in our youth to sneak in on our bellies laughing our butts off under the security horses. Crazy us. Man those memories are seated deep and everlasting. Thanks.

Now Playing icon Listening to: me
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:11:57 PM by landshark » IP address Logged

betcey
Small Member

Festivation rating 10

URL icon « Reply #641 on: May 18, 2022, 09:07:11 PM »

Watching a 12 or 13 year-old Alison Krauss being brought on stage - can’t even remember who the act was that introduced her.

Selling a tie-dye T-shirt to a young Bela Fleck and then seeing him on stage wearing it the next day!

Yeah … that was a very very long time ago !
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #642 on: May 19, 2022, 10:18:21 AM »

HI Betcey,  I first saw Allison and US in Santa Fe in 1987 when she was 15 and she blew me away.  Her first time in Tride was 1989 when she was 17 and I don't recall ever seeing her perform in Telluride before then, so I'm curious as to when you saw her there at age 12 or 13? She signed with Rounder in 1985. She is 50 now! Still has the voice of an angel. That show in Santa Fe was amazing. It was Alison Kraus and Union Station, followed by Tony Rice Unit, and finished up with New Grass Revival!   Man what a show that was! After 35 years I still remember how amazing the whole day was!   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 10:30:46 AM by Cindy Lou » IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
betcey
Small Member

Festivation rating 10

URL icon « Reply #643 on: May 19, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »

HI Betcey,  I first saw Allison and US in Santa Fe in 1987 when she was 15 and she blew me away.  Her first time in Tride was 1989 when she was 17 and I don't recall ever seeing her perform in Telluride before then, so I'm curious as to when you saw her there at age 12 or 13? She signed with Rounder in 1985. She is 50 now! Still has the voice of an angel. That show in Santa Fe was amazing. It was Alison Kraus and Union Station, followed by Tony Rice Unit, and finished up with New Grass Revival!   Man what a show that was! After 35 years I still remember how amazing the whole day was!   

WOW, that sounds like an amazing show!
Alison wasn't playing as an official act when I saw her ... someone else who was performing  (I wish is could remember who!) just brought her onstage and introduced her, saying that she was an up and coming talent to watch. I think she only performed one song ... my memory is fuzzy. It would have been somewhere between 1983 and 1985 ... the only years I went to Telluride. I want to say it was '83.

I am soooo excited to finally be making it back often so many, many years!!
(Still desperately seeking a TP or WF ticket if you know anyone with one for sale!) 😁
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #644 on: May 19, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »

WOW, that sounds like an amazing show!
Alison wasn't playing as an official act when I saw her ... someone else who was performing  (I wish is could remember who!) just brought her onstage and introduced her, saying that she was an up and coming talent to watch. I think she only performed one song ... my memory is fuzzy. It would have been somewhere between 1983 and 1985 ... the only years I went to Telluride. I want to say it was '83.

I am soooo excited to finally be making it back often so many, many years!!
(Still desperately seeking a TP or WF ticket if you know anyone with one for sale!) 😁
My guess would be Sam Bush. He has been there since year 2 1975 I believe. My first was year 3 in 1976 but I don't remember seeing Alison! I know Sam has definitely sung praises of up and coming young musicians including Chris Thiele and Sierra Hull.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC