Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 04:14:46 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  The Shed
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Guitar (Moderator: BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Going from novice to better then novice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Going from novice to better then novice  (Read 16599 times)
scody311
Small Member

Festivation rating 44

URL icon « on: June 08, 2011, 12:51:43 PM »

Hi folks,
I am interested in thoughts from those that were on a plateau for awhile, and from teachers.
Other the amount of time spent practicing and playing, what is the top thing that keeps somebody from going from being a novice flatpicker to be an expert flat picker?
IP address Logged
Obsessive Plectrum
Small Member

Festivation rating -13

URL icon « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

The right hand is more important than the left. Do the double down up technique as taught on Brad Davis's you tube vids...even if you don't like it, it will develop the right hand in unexpectedly productive ways.
IP address Logged
The Goat
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

Relax, Nothing is under control.

URL icon « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »

Wow. That Brad Davis stuff is pretty slick, though it'll take me some time to get it nailed down. I'm just starting to add flatpicking to my rhythm playing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Troutsteak Revival
IP address Logged

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »

Lots of detailed & educational videos on youtube that will help.  IMO, putting yourself out there will push you to improvement.  Join a picking group.  Go to open jams.  Find a partner and play weekly.  Nothing spurs improvement like the fear of sucking.
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
The Goat
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

Relax, Nothing is under control.

URL icon « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:23:44 AM »

Yeah, I've been doing the educational videos and they help. But the jams and playing with others is a great idea.

I've been gigging as a blues/rock drummer for a long time, so none of my musician friends are all that interested in this type of music.   Rolleyes

But I found a group that has an "Old Time" music circle and they always need guitarists, apparently they have an excess of fiddlers  Wink

Also, down here in Denver, Swallow Hill Music has some jams. Though it'll probably creep people out if I show up for the "Taylor Swift for Teenage Girls" class.  LOL

Now Playing icon Listening to: John Hartford
IP address Logged

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
StarryNightDiva
URL icon « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »

"Nothing spurs improvement like the fear of sucking." <--- oh my god, you ain't lying brotha...that is so funny ~  LOL

Now Playing icon Listening to: Noam Pikelny & Friends
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »

"Nothing spurs improvement like the fear of sucking." <--- oh my god, you ain't lying brotha...that is so funny ~  LOL

LOL LOL LOL
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC